Saturday, December 19, 2009

My Personal History of the Internet - NET12 activity

This week (and i've missed a couple of weeks' activities because i've been away so I am catching up)  we were asked to read the study guide for Module 1, and establish some of the reasons for studying the internet in terms of the everyday and some areas of focus.


The individual activity was to answer a few questions about my own experiences of the internet (below). 


In the mid-90's, maybe 1996, there was suddenly a lot of talk about the internet and the possibilities it had at my school.  The 'Computer Studies' students were already talking about how it would change our lives.  I was pretty excited by the idea of being able to have my own little corner of the internet, 'a webpage' although it was a few years before I even saw it for the first time.


In 1999 I signed up for a Hotmail email address and began using a friend's computer to browse the web.  It was the most exciting thing ever! I felt like the 'information superhighway' was endless and endlessly intriguing.  You could find information about absolutely anything on there, I imagined.  The dialup speeds of connection meant that it would probably take awhile.


The Internet is now a massive part of my everyday life, integrating more or less seamlessly across multiple devices used to access it (home & work PC, laptops, iPhone) and allowing the accessing of information or entertainment to be much easier and quicker than ever before.  From 'social networking' to studying and even wholly obtaining a degree online, to banking and all sorts of personal administration, to diary and time management tools, blogging,  to music, movies and television, gaming, and information gathering on subjects such as weather,  news, real estate and product purchases, even online shopping.  I use the internet for multiple hours every day for work and for pleasure.  I would call myself an 'enthusiast'.  I watch streaming online TV instead of regular television because it's 'on-demand'.  My devices are all synced and I have a Apple MobileMe membership which stores a lot of data and information 'in the cloud' and enables regular syncing of calendars, mail, contacts etc.  
Not a day would go by that I do not use it and it feels wholly essential to me and my lifestyle.



No comments:

Post a Comment