Thursday, January 7, 2010

NET12 Topic 1.2 - Music: I Want My MP3 - Activities

1. What role does music play in your life and does it mesh with any of the practices and meanings described in the readings?
I seem to go through phases where I listen to a LOT of music and really get into learning about new artists and finding less common types of music to explore.  I always enjoy listening to music when I do it, it's like I get out of the habit of doing so sometimes though.  I'm sure it's a time thing.  When I was single, I had more time to organise music, make sure my iPod had all my favourites on it or what I was currently listening to, and there was more time at home where I simply had music playing in the background (I don't really watch much TV).  It seems as half of a couple you only have your choice half the time and in my current coupled-situation he would rather watch sport on TV!  Of course when single I went out more with friends too and that usually involved listening to music, in bars or pubs.  I also went to more music festivals.  Right now i'm listening to the radio during the day in my workplace, and that tends to be a popular commercial station that the most people are happy with, and I listen to music of my choice at home whilst studying.  Sometimes we might put on music whilst entertaining friends or having dinner.  My tastes are fairly unexciting! I like a lot of music that you would call pop.  I have a few Australian rock music favourites, and the odd few bands that you would not expect thrown in there as well.

Are your tastes shared with other people or groups that you are in contact with?
I have some friends who are heavily into what i'd call 'alternative' music, and a couple that are into all things country, but broadly i'd say that most of my friends are into similar music to me.  Different age groups seem to have different tastes, like your parents and their friends don't usually like the same music that you do.  My partner is heavily into black afro-american soul music from the 60s/70s.

How do you usually 'pick up' a musician/band or song?
I go to music festivals and listen to the radio, then search out the band's music online to hear a sample before usually purchasing online.  I don't buy physical CDs.  I sometimes buy an old vinyl record from a second hand store.

Do you download music, watch videos with music, reveal your tastes in online profiles and applications?
Yes to all of the above! Downloading is by far my primary means of sourcing and getting music.  For a couple of reasons; it's faster than physically going out and buying it, it's cheaper, and more portable across different devices and places to listen to.  I will sometimes watch a music DVD or have a music video playing on the TV as background at a party or doing the housework! I don't personally buy them though. I do reveal my tastes online, in a limited way by becoming a Facebook fan of bands i like, or RSVPing to an event for a band on Facebook.

2.  We were asked to explore MySpace.  MySpace is a social networking website.  MySpace became the most popular social networking site in the United States in June 2006 according to Mashup.  MySpace was overtaken internationally by its main competitor, Facebook, in April 2008, based on monthly unique visitors (ComScore 2008) Originally destined to be a similar type of social networking vehicle to Facebook, MySpace is more customisable but does not include the third party applications and games that has made Facebook so popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment